Health News & Articles
Abhyanga: Ayurvedic self-massage
Daily self massage with simple, pure oils is a wonderful way of revitalising the body and mind and encourage optimum health.
To take time to de-stress for a few moments in your daily cleansing routine, will help your body wake up fresh in the mornings and shed the “dirt of the day” in the evening…the principle of “cleansing” or “cleanliness” in mind and body is an essential part of the practice of Yoga.
This type of massage is used as prevention and self-care rather than cure, like a regular health maintenance.
Consider taking care of your self by following this routine every day, if possible. You will feel energised in the day, and sleepy at night. Your muscles and your joints will feel toned and soothed, your skin soft and nourished.
Use a non-aggressive oil such as Jojoba, Sesame, Rose hip or Avocado oil, preferably purchased and stored in a glass bottle.
- Start by warming up the bottle of oil in a bowl of boiled water, or dip the bottle into the hot bath as you get ready.
- Poor a small amount of oil on the open palm of your hand, not your fingers.
- Start massaging your body from the scalp, in circular movements. Spend more time on your head than in other parts of the body.
- The general rule is, massage the round areas (head, elbows, knees, hips) in circular movements and the straight areas (arms, legs) in straight strokes.
- Massage your ears and your face. We recommend you Rose hip oil for your face, as it is anti-aging and firming.
- Massage the neck, front and back, and the upper back.
- Vigorously massage your arms, using circular motions on the round joints of the shoulders and elbows.
- Gently massage your chest and your belly in circular movements clockwise from the right side to the left side of the abdomen, following the digestive path of your intestines.
- Massage your back the best you can.
- Massage your legs vigorously in straight strokes, with circular movements in the hips, knees and ankles.
- Take a sit and take your time to massage your feet.
Allow the oil to be absorbed for 10 mins, making sure you are wrapped in a large towel to stay warm.
Take a warm bath or a shower, remembering not to use very hot water on your head.
There’s no better way to start practicing taking time for yourself…